Script to Screen: Editing Workshops

A good editor should be able to make mediocre shots look good and also add drama and tension to a narrative without confusing the audience.

Learning to use Adobe Premiere Pro, I started by finding out how to insert and overwrite videos and audio voice-over to the timeline in order to make an interesting documentary piece such as Delicious Peace:


Using these skills, I then learned how to also add music and combine that with interviews and action shots such as in Zero to Hero:



To make the transitions in pieces like this smoother, I learned how to use cutaways to show what the interviewee is saying:



As my first short film will be a narrative piece, I then learned how to edit together the coverage obtained when filming a piece like this as shown in Blind Date:



To make this smoother, I learned how to use the roll tool, enabling me to trim the video and audio to make it fit into one another, while being able to see the outgoing frame and in-going frame of the cut:


Using Adobe Audition, I learned that it can help get rid of unwanted noise in a shot by capturing it and filtering it out of the footage. This effect is shown below from the scene of Fairly Legal:



I then cut together this whole sequence using the skills I had learned from all the workshops:








Comments