Directions: Editing Workshop


Expansive Version:

The aim of this cut was to create the version which included the widest range of the coverage that was filmed, and I enjoyed being able to experiment with the various different shots. What I think worked most in the editing of this film was how the track in introduces the other character as it still shows this as if the audience are watching from the point of the view of the character who was walking, as up to that point the tracking shots have focused on him. However, I feel that I could have cut out the shot which tilts upward as the character walks past, as this made the distance he walks seem longer than it actually is. I also liked that the shots of the door close-up are both at the beginning and the end as they act almost like bookends, and that I was able to use shot-reverse shots to pace the conversation the characters had as their eye-lines matched. 

Character A as more powerful:

This cut was made to emphasise that the female character is more powerful than the other character. I think that this worked as the audience are firmly fixed in her point of view, for example when the other character turns around to apologise again, and are also able to see her reactions to the other character through her own close-ups. As she is still in the frame in the other character's close-ups it also implies that she may have trapped him in, or is more important than him, as he can not be as clearly seen during her close-ups. What I would improve is the rhythm of the cuts as some of them are jumpy and a bit too quick. 

In and Out version:

The goal for this cut was to make the shortest version possible, which I think worked but it could be even shorter by cutting out the other character apologising at the end, as this doesn't really tell the audience anything new about him since he is just repeating himself. What I think did work was that I was able to cut out some of the lines of dialogue and the scene still seems continuous with the most important parts of the story in focus. I also like that it is quick but edited traditionally, beginning wide, coming in close, and then ending on a wide again. 


The version I would use for my film is the one which places the power in one of the characters, as one of the trademarks of Once Upon A Time is showing which character is the most powerful by how they are framed and how long for. This was the version I enjoyed editing the most as it was interesting to see how to give one character more power without cutting the other out completely. I would like to use this technique in my own sequence, but also highlight the power of the characters by using high and low angles as I like the way this emphasises the amount of power, or lack of power, that a character possesses, because of how tall or small they become to the audience. 

Comments