Directions: Project development

As the aim for the project is to pick a scene or sequence of scenes from a TV drama and replicate them using my own directing style, I watched several different sequences, firstly from Veronica Mars and the from Once Upon A Time in order to find one that was a good length and didn't feature only dialogue.
The reason I decided not to pick this sequence from Veronica Mars was that the scenes were too short and included too many locations, props, and characters.
 
This sequence also from Veronica Mars would have been much more achievable, however, a dog played an important part in the plot, as well as the main character crawling through a window to get into an apartment in the middle of the night. 
 As many of the scenes in Veronica Mars involved elements of crime like this which would be difficult to recreate, I decided to see if there were any sequences I could pick instead in Once Upon A Time. However, the sequence I found from this episode included too many characters who had speaking roles, who appeared for only a short amount of time each, as well as too much dialogue where the characters were sitting.  
 
This sequence from was more achievable, however it wasn't long enough, and many of the scenes also involved a thirteen year old boy who had many lines of dialogue. 
Therefore, I decided to pick some of the flashback scenes from episode 20 of season 5 of Once Upon A Time as it didn't feature too much dialogue, was long enough, and seemed achievable for me to recreate on a budget.
I then wrote this out as a script and begin to watch more of the show in order to analyse it's directorial trademarks. I also researched two other dramas, Feud: Bette and Joan and Vanished by the Lake as one involves two characters who are opposing, much like the heroes and villains in Once Upon A Time and the other involves a crime aspect which fits with the storyline of my sequence and the atmosphere I aim to create when directing it.
To further understand and build on concepts learnt during workshops, I also researched colour theory to determine why directors, cinematographers, and production designers make the decisions to use certain colours, as I found that screen language can add layers to a story in this way.
I also looked at several directors and their films, including Ken Olin for TV, as well as Ron Howard, Chris Columbus, and Pablo Larrain for film. However, I decided to research Harry Winer for TV because of his unique style that creates mystery and includes using a Dutch angle, and Sofia Coppola in film as her style is different from other directors whose work I have seen because of how she uses lots of wide framing. I also decided to research Steven Spielberg as my selected director, as although there are many of his films that I have seen several times, a lot of his newer work I have not watched, so I wanted to see how his directing style has developed and evolved over time. I also think it will be interesting to see how I can take Steven Spielberg's cinematic style, and combine it with Sofia Coppola's much less traditional, more dreamlike style, and add these to the fantasy themes of Once Upon A Time.
From Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring (2013)

I then researched the characters from my script, Emma Swan, Cleo Fox, and Tasha Morris, as well as made mood boards on wardrobe and locations so that my piece would reflect the show and its characters but be my own interpretation with the atmosphere I wanted to achieve. I also made a list of props and how I planned to recreate them. 
From Once Upon A Time (2011-2018)

This then enabled me to start on my script breakdown, storyboards and overhead diagrams, after reccing my locations




Comments